6.06.2012

A Busy June

June is always a busy month for me, but it's also one of my favorites.  The past few years, June means two things in particular: mission trip and Southern Baptist Convention.

As for the mission trip, this Saturday our church will send a team of 22 people to greater Chicago where we have a partnership with Three Rivers Baptist Association.  This will be our third trip to help churches in this association.  This year we will work with Higher Ground Baptist Church in Midlothian to help them make some needed improvements to their facility, and also do some ministry/evangelism in their community.

As for the SBC, I will leave a week from this Monday for New Orleans to attend the annual meeting.  It appears that it has the potential to be an exciting one.  There are many issues in Southern Baptist life right now that are garnering much debate/discussion - namely, the adoption of an alternative name for our denomination (Great Commission Baptists) and the advancement of Calvinist/reformed doctrine across the SBC landscape (and the opposition to it).  Also, I will be on the Tellers Committee again this year (vote counter), and will be making a nomination speech for my friend/mentor, Jim Wells.  So it will be a busy three days in New Orleans.  

June will wrap up with a big Independence Day fellowship/outreach event at our church on July 1, and then it will be vacation time for a couple weeks with the family.  Sprinkle in a few fishing trips, and it's going to be a great summer!

Finally, I would be remiss not to mention two other reasons June is one of my favorite months...  First and foremost, I married my beautiful bride on 6/26/99!  Nothing else compares with that!  Secondly, I began pastoring Selmore Baptist Church on 6/1/03.  It is hard to believe, but this month marks 13 years of marriage and nine years of ministry at Selmore.  Both have been wonderful.  I am blessed.

Happy June everybody.