11.25.2017

A Tribute to Dr. Marshall

Tomorrow, one of my preaching heroes will preach his last sermon before retirement...
Dr. John Marshall has been the pastor of Second Baptist Church in Springfield, MO since 1995.  I surrendered to full-time ministry under the preaching of Dr. Marshall, when I heard him make this statement, "The life you've always dreamed of lies behind the mission you've always dreaded."  Since that time, Dr. Marshall has become a friend and mentor.  I have learned so much from him.  In particular, his passion for missions has greatly shaped my own ministry.  Through the years, Dr. Marshall has been a great encouragement to me.  Whether it be buying lunch, cutting out newspaper clippings with my name in them and mailing them to me, or just exchanging quick texts, he has blessed this young pastor (and scores of others as well).  While Second Baptist has a long and rich history in Springfield, it is difficult for me to imagine Second without him!  Pray for Dr. Marshall and his beloved Ruth as they begin their next chapter.  Pray for Second Baptist as they begin the search for their next shepherd.  May we all invest in someone coming up behind us.