1.01.2020

Wait on the Lord



When I was a kid and learning to fish from a canoe moving swiftly down an Ozarks stream, my dad taught me to scan the water ahead and hold my cast until I could put the bait right where I wanted it.  Otherwise, you run the risk of casting into a less desirable spot, only to be stuck reeling in while the current zooms you past the place to which you really wanted to cast.

As with many fishing illustrations, there's a good spiritual lesson in that.  Making a God-honoring decision is not only about doing the right thing, it's also about doing it at the right time.  Better to wait patiently with a precision cast into God's perfect will, than to get impatient and cast here, there and everywhere, perhaps missing God's best in the process.

And, yes, God is sovereign - even over the unwise decisions we make.  But often times we can save ourselves a lot of pain and heartache if we will just wait for His best.

"Wait on the Lord.  Be of good courage and He will strengthen your heart.  Wait, I say, on the Lord!"  Psalm 27:14