12.17.2010

My Two Cents on Tax Cuts


I rarely broach political topics on this blog, but I just have to vent a little this morning...

Is it just me, or is anyone else aggravated when the media gets this real self-righteous tone and says, "The extension of the Bush era tax cuts is going to balloon the national debt by $ x billion dollars?"

Basically we the people are the government's employer.  We hire it to work for us (elect leaders), and pay its salary (taxes).  Does an employee get to blame his employer when he spends more than what he makes?  Is it the employer's fault he's in debt? 

Using this logic, I suppose any of us could go out and buy a new home and a new car that we can't afford.  Then, when the collection agencies come calling because we can't make our payments, all we have to say is "It's my employers fault for not paying me more."  Is that logic not ludicrous? Government needs to operate like every other responsible entity in society... Make a realistic budget, and stick to it.

It was never a given that the Bush-era tax cuts would be allowed to expire.  Any budgeting that was done under the assumption they would expire was premature and irresponsible.