2.21.2010

Faith & Facebook

Today I made a comment in my sermon that I was told may have been a wee bit harsh regarding the posting of Scripture, religious comments, etc. on Facebook.  So I would like to take this opportunity to clarify...

Our text today was Matthew 6, in which Jesus condemns the "hypocrites" of His day for praying in such a way as to be seen/praised by men.  I made a comparison to people who frequently post Scripture and religious comments on Facebook, and suggested that many such people simply want others to take note of how "holy" they are.  While I believe this to be true, I also know that many people post Scripture and religious comments on Facebook out of a true heart of worship, and a sincere desire to encourage others. 
So if you're the latter...Keep up the good work! 

Actually, there are few things I enjoy more on a daily basis than getting on Facebook and seeing my church people encourage one another, especially with the very words of Scripture.  I would never want to be guilty of discouraging that!

Just remember, as one wise pastor once told me, "If you have to tell people you're a Christian, you're probably not one."

Grace.