1.20.2009

Good Job, Rick

Like many evangelicals, I listened with great interest to Rick Warren's prayer today at President Obama's inauguration. The verdict?... Pretty darn good. Not only did he offer his prayer in Jesus' name, he spoke Jesus' name in four different languages. Cool. Another very significant touch was quoting Deuteronomy 6:4, which establishes God as the Lord of Israel. That was by design, and I appreciated it. You can read the full text of the prayer here... Rick Warren drives a lot of us crazy (including me), but can we now stop questioning the man's faith?

One last thought about the inauguration... Every time I watch one, I am awed by the peaceful transfer of power, one of the hallmarks of a democracy. Do we understand how rare it is in history for an outgoing leader to literally embrace the incoming leader and wish him well? As I watched the Bushs and Obamas hug and wave good-bye to one another, I couldn't help but think "only in America."