11.26.2013

A Thanksgiving Story

A few days ago I called one of our local elementary schools and let the counselor know that Heartland Family Church would like to adopt some families in need this holiday season. Today, I got a call from the school that a local family requested some assistance for a Thanksgiving meal. Tonight, I had the privilege to deliver to their home a gift card for groceries, along with a New Testament, some Christian literature, information on our church, and some other goodies. When I arrived at the home, I found a mother, grandmother, 15 year old daughter, and 11 year old daughter living together in a single wide trailer. They were very grateful for the help, and after a good visit, I was able to have prayer with them before I left. As good an interaction as this was, perhaps the best part was I discovered a very large trailer park just a few minutes from our target area that I had no idea was there! I am excited to see what harvest this community will yield in the coming months.

In summary, thank you Southern Baptists for your support of our church plant. Because of you, a family in Indianapolis will have a Thanksgiving meal this year that otherwise wouldn't have. And even better, they know a new church down the road cares for them, and so does Jesus. Happy Thanksgiving.