2.07.2011

Thoughts on the Super Bowl

Like everyone else in America, I watched the Super Bowl tonight.  Actually, I recorded it on DVR and watched it when I got home from church.  I know, I know...  our church is hopelessly old fashioned.  We still have church on Superbowl Sunday night, unlike all you other backsliders...

Okay.  Let me climb off my high horse for a moment.  I'm only kidding...  Not about church.  We did have it tonight (and a good crowd, by the way).  But about the backsliding part, I'm kidding.  I'm not from the school that thinks the more time you spend in the church building, the better Christian you are.  Nor am I from the school that thinks the surest way to turn the devil loose in your church is to cancel Sunday night services.  That's not me.  I'm not that guy.

I am, on the other hand, a sports guy.  I follow the NFL pretty closely.  (Finished second in my fantasy league this year!)  I look forward to the Super Bowl.  And in the interest of full disclosure, I must admit, we did cancel our church council meeting after services tonight, so we could get home and watch the game.  (There, I feel much better now that I have that off my chest.)

But having said all that, let me say also say this...  Something bothers me about the priority that many of us put on the Super Bowl.  It seems to me that it's almost taken on the status of a holy day.  When Super Bowl Sunday is a bigger deal in most Christian homes than Easter, what does that say about our priorities?  When a quick scroll through Facebook shows dozens of posts by Christians about the game, and nothing about what God did in their church this morning, what does that say?  (Maybe it's an indictment of our churches?) 

Maybe I'm out of line.  Maybe I'm being grumpy and judgmental.  Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill.  I don't mean to do any of those things.  God knows my heart.  I don't look down on anyone for watching the Super Bowl.  If our church didn't have services tonight, that's definitely what I would have been doing...  All I'm saying is that it seems like we get a lot more excited over the Super Bowl than we ever do about God, and somehow that doesn't sit quite right with me.

Now, on to more important matters...  Did Aaron Rodgers have a game, or what?