7.16.2010

Sabbatical Update

For those of you who may not know, I am currently enjoying a six week sabbatical granted to me by my generous church family.  The term "sabbatical" is related to the word "sabbath," and refers to a season of rest.  I am now almost two weeks into the sabbatical, and it has been wonderful. 

So far I have gotten to: clean out my garage, work on my yard and flowerbeds, attend a Springfield Cardinals game, go fishing a couple times, take the kids to play in the creek, do a lot of reading/writing, worship at Ridgecrest, and spend time with friends.  Last night I went to a St. Louis Cardinals game with one of my best buds.  We didn't get home until 2:30 in the morning, and my wife let me sleep this morning until 10:00!  Now that's the life!

But the best part of the sabbatical is that I have gotten to spend a lot of time with my wife and kids.  This week we will be going to visit Rachel's parents and grandparents, and taking the kids to St. Louis for a couple nights.

As far as ministry goes, I have done one ministry related thing, and that is going to Jefferson City for some meetings for a state committee that I'm on.  (See previous post.)  But beyond that, I have done well at unplugging from work.  Already, I can feel God breathing a fresh spirit into me.  He has also challenged me through some of the reading I've done.  So, I have started a list of ideas and priorities to tackle when I do get back to work.

I conclude this post by saying "thank you" to my church family.  I wish every pastor had the privilege of serving a church like Selmore.