1.06.2009

My Next 30 Years



Hope you enjoy the above video. I didn't know until recently that Phil Vassar wrote this song. And for my money, he sings it a lot better than Tim McGraw, who generally annoys the heck out of me. (I have never been able to get past "Indian Outlaw," but that's another story.)

I turn 30 tomorrow, and I can identify with this song. Especially the part about the salads. I know the great battle of my next 30 years will be my health, because of my weight. As I write this, I am 85 pounds over my ideal weight. Please pray for me that I will be disciplined, and bring this part of my life under God's control. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Beyond that, it has been a great 30 years. I had a godly upbringing. I am married to my soulmate. I have three beautiful children. I love my job, my house, and my truck. I am an "American child." (Another great Phil Vassar song.) I am not a world traveler by any means, but I have seen more and done more than I ever thought I would do by the age of 30. I have swam in the Atlantic and the Pacific. I have rafted in the Rockies. I have preached the gospel in the projects of America's cities, the dirty streets of Mexico and the mountain villages of El Salvador. I have worked as a carry-out, cashier, hay-hauler, groundskeeper, umpire, office assistant, church janitor, school teacher and pastor and enjoyed them all. (All work is honorable when done for the Lord.) I have lived in five communities (Plato, Houston, Bolivar, Ellington, Ozark) and all have a fond place in my heart. With all humility, I don't believe there's anyone God has blessed more than He's blessed me.

Someone asked me today how I was feeling about turning 30, and I told them that most days I feel 40 or 50 anyway, and that's the truth. For my age, I have born a lot of responsibility. But I know "to whom much is given, much is required." And I am okay with that (most days). Of course, I am still very immature in some ways (just ask my wife), and am probably more of a cut-up than most people know.

As for what's next... Lord-willing... I will take my wife on a cruise for our tenth anniversary. I will return to El Salvador and teach American history and Bible to high-schoolers. I will lead our church into a new building, and a new era. Someday soon, I would like to see Times Square and Washington D.C. (I think once a piece will do me just fine.) Beyond that, it is in God's hands. And that's just fine with me, because what I've learned above all else in 30 years, is that's exactly where I want to be.