11.24.2008

I love Alan Jackson, but...

I love Alan Jackson. In fact, on Dec 6 CMT is airing a live 90 minute tribute to Jackson and his career, which I definitely plan on watching. Two moments in Jackson's career stick out to me... 1) His performance of "Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning" after the 9/11 attacks, and 2) his gutsy statement on behalf of George Jones at the 1999 CMA's.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the latter, the CMA's asked Jones to sing a shortened version of his single "Choices" at the awards show. Insulted that he could not sing the entire song, Jones opted to stay home from the awards show altogether. That same night, Jackson was allotted time to sing his entire single "Pop a Top," which he indeed started out singing. But midway through the song, as a statement against Jones' snub, Jackson surprised everybody (including the producers) by transitioning into Jones' song "Choices." After singing the entire song, Jackson silently walked off the stage and out of the building, and did not return. Is that cool or what?

Like I said... I love Alan Jackson. However, a few moments ago I heard his single "I'll Try," which has to be one of the worst songs of all time. I've been waiting to get this off my chest for a few years now. If there is one song that could sum up the reason why 50% of marriages in America end in divorce, this is it... "I'll try to love only you. I'll try my best to be true. I'll try." Is that not the most pathetic thing you've ever heard? It is NOT "I'll try." It is "I WILL!"

Okay. I feel better now. If you want to put yourself through the torture of listening to the song, you can do so here.