10.13.2008

Where is the "Geographical Center" of Your Universe?

I received an email last week from a nice lady who saw my recent pics of Lindenlure Dam. This lady now lives out of state, but wrote to me, "I spent many hours as a child [at Lindenlure], and it's sort of the geographical center of my universe."

I totally get that. Do you? There are a few people who have the enviable ability to truly feel wherever they are at the moment is "home." But most of us probably have a specific, fixed location that regardless of where we hang our hat will forever be "the center of our universe" -- the place from which all distances are measured, and to which all other locales are compared.

I know it sounds corny, but for me that place is the Roubidoux Creek bridge at Plato, MO. I spent many hours there as a child. And when I go back there, I am more "me" than anywhere else in the world. I am centered. I am grounded. It's not that I really have a desire to live there, but it is good for my soul to return from time to time.

I have lived now in several communities. I am fond of all of them, and love a few of them (i.e. Houston, Ellington, Ozark). But for me, "ground zero" will always be that little place tucked away in Texas County.