10.25.2008

Fireproof


We went with some couples from our Sunday School class to see the movie "Fireproof" last night. Even though the movie had been highly recommended to me, I went with reservations, as I usually don't go for the cheesy, over-the-top, "super-Christian" (i.e. Kirk Cameron) movies. (Sorry about the slam on Kirk. I love him to death, but he gets on my nerves sometimes.) But I must say, I came away very impressed. It had at least one pulse-beating action scene, and many very funny scenes. You can read about the plot of the movie here.

Now don't get me wrong. The movie has its moments where the writing is painfully simplistic, and the acting is very amateur, and it feels as though you're watching a church Christmas play. But on the other hand, that's also what makes the film endearing. You can't help but appreciate it, because you know it's being produced by ordinary, God-loving folks who genuinely want to spread the Gospel and help people in their marriages. And this movie does both.

I remember when "Facing the Giants" came out, my brother said at the time, "This movie is the real deal. It's going to make an impact on people." And that's what I left thinking about "Fireproof." I truly believe it can (and will) inspire people in struggling marriages to look at their spouse in a new light, and seek God's help in making their marriage work. I highly recommend it.